Tuesday, July 24, 2007

2007 Business Spotlight: Featured in Heart of a Woman Newsletter



Hello,
My name is Charline Melon and I am the creator and owner of Nubian Essence (mostly known as Nu Essence Fashion Boutique). Nu Essence Fashion Boutique specializes in women’s chic innovative apparel and jewelry that provides a broader international selection for those who desire to define their own unique style. Our one of a kind items span from countries all over including France, Ghana, and the Philippines as well as local upcoming designers ensuring a variety of different styles to choose from. There are also gift alternatives such as personalized gift baskets that make great gifts to give or just to treat yourself. This boutique has no physical location (as of yet), but instead items can be viewed in personal settings by making an individual appointment with me, throwing your own or attending one of my private parties. Items can also be viewed online on the official website.
While I have a great educational background (graduate of Boston Latin School and earned a BS in Psychology at Penn State University), I’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to have my own business. So when difficulties came this year (2006) in trying to find a stable position (to my liking), it opened the door for me to start my business this year, thus producing the birth of Nu Essence. It started this summer when I took a short questionnaire from Essence magazine about starting a “side hustle”. The questionnaire comprised of 6 questions inquiring about my personality, talents, a vision of my ideal day, and what I would most like doing if I had no financial limitation. After brainstorming for a short time came the idea for me to begin a boutique. In a matter of 2-3 days the whole blueprint for the business came together. It was amazing how the idea just flourished so quickly. I aspired to launch my business around Thanksgiving since that is the busiest shopping season so I kept praying, working, and expecting for everything to come through and God sure enough did- He was right on time too! (As the old church folks would say)
I consider Nu Essence like my own baby that is a reflection of myself- my creativity, talents, passions, and concerns. And while right now the boutique is one aspect of Nu Essence, there are many avenues of interests that I plan to pursue as well. Nu Essence not only focuses on improving the exterior appearance but evolving inwardly as well. The theme of Nu Essence states that the company is not only an image but it personifies a lifestyle. Meaning while it is important to beautify the external, it is even more important to evolve internally. We as women need to improve and balance all aspects of our lives- spiritual, mental, emotional, financial, etc. I have a great desire to work on women outreach as well as community, social and global issues. Nu Essence plans to touch upon these avenues in 2007.
Through my trials, pain, disappointments, and failures this year, God has built even greater character and perseverance in me. I have truly learned through the process that “all things work together for good to those who love God” (Romans 8:28) and I trust Him now more than ever. Now, I do not only hope God will come through, I expect Him to and I can’t wait to see the great things He has in store for me in 2007! I’m sure He has great things in store for you, too.
Happy New Year and God Bless.

1 comment:

John said...

Nice job. I would like to hear more about how you put your business plan together in just a few days!